Tuesday, July 26, 2011

It's Too Darn Hot!

There are very few activities that sound enjoyable when temps are in the triple digits.  I can think of three off the top of my head:
  • eat ice cream
  • have friends over for dinner
  • go swimming.

We did all three on Friday.  Friday is Sam’s “first Saturday” during the summer, so we slept in as late as we could.  We were relaxing in the living room, talking about how sleepy I still was and how exhausting this heat is, when Jono knocked on our door.  Jono’s work schedule makes him nearly impossible to see for the average person (3 to midnight, I think), but he couldn’t sleep as late as he normally does, so he came to hang out with us before work. We caught up with him for a while and argued about whether Zooey Dechanel or Ellen Page is better looking until he had to leave.  Not long after that, we got the call from Matt and Becca so we hurried out the door.  

The water at the pool is getting hot, so swimming isn’t as refreshing as it used to be, but it still better than most things.  Violet met us there and we spent the afternoon getting some sun and catching up with friends we don’t see often enough.  After about two hours in the water, I left to go sell ice cream at the Altamont farmers market.  When we finally gave up on the chance of selling much more, Sam and I went home to prepare for the third enjoyable activity of the day.  

Matt is a vegetarian, so we always enjoy the challenge of creating a delicious, filling meal, using no meat or dairy.  Sam thought veggie fajitas sounded good tonight, and I agreed, so went to work on that.  Sam made the fajitas and the rice and I made some flour tortillas.  Sam roasted broccoli and cauliflower with some olive oil lemon juice and fajita seasoning and he cooked onions, green and red peppers in a skillet with some oil and fajita seasoning. It was a delicious combination of flavors!  We also had black beans, mexican rice, sour cream and cheese.  It was such a fun night.

I know you’re all wondering how I made the tortillas, so here you go!  This is basically the easiest recipe ever.  It’s also really delicious!

3 C Flour (white or wheat)
1 C water
⅓ C Applesauce
1 t Salt

Mix and divide into at least 12 balls, let rest for a while.  Roll out as thin as possible on a floured surface.  Heat a dry cast iron skillet to medium heat.  Place a tortilla in the skillet and let cook for about 30 seconds-1 minute.  Turn over and let cook on the other side.  It will start bubbling when it’s done.  If your skillet isn’t quite hot enough, you might have to turn it over again.  Don’t leave them on too long or you’ll get dry, burned tortillas.  


The camera on my phone was being obnoxious so I didn’t get very good pictures of the tortillas. I think these are both before the first flip.  They still look pretty doughy.  Anyway, I hope you enjoy these tortillas! They’re tasty, easy, and vegan. :)

In other news, I got a job at Ernestos today. It’s a mexican restaurant.  I’ll be waiting tables during lunch and one night a week.  It will give us a bit of an income boost, without making our lives totally insane (hopefully).  I think I’ll enjoy working again, but I’ll miss all my free time and flexibility.

I should probably go give the dogs baths. They’ve been super itchy lately, so hopefully that improves the mood around here.  Have a good one!

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe I missed this post -- I can't wait to try your tortilla technique! Applesauce? Who knew!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah! applesauce. they're healthy AND delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete