Sunday, July 10, 2011

Heading West

Yesterday we finally got bored.  Sam and I had been hanging out at the house for five days.  We watched several TV shows, five movies, had friends over for dinner, and rested.  It was lovely to rest.  I asked Sam if he wanted to have Drew and Jono over to play cards and he said he did.  Neither of them answered their phones.  We gave up on them after a while and called Vi.  She didn’t answer either, and we started to wonder if our friends suddenly decided they hated us, or if they all left town and no one told us.  We eventually got bored enough that we just got in the car and drove around to see if anyone was home.  Luckily, Parsons is small enough that takes about 5 minutes.  Jono and Courtney were home.  We went to Shredders (BBQ) for dinner and it was delicious.  Then we came to our house and I ate too much ice cream.  It was tasty, but I definitely over estimated the amount of free space in my stomach. It was a good night, though, and I’m glad we got to spend time with them.

Tomorrow morning at 8:00 am (hopefully), I’ll be heading West on my second solo trip since marrying Sam.  This one won’t be totally solo.  I’m bringing Ralph and Huck, on the eight hour drive.  Ralph loves driving.  When he was a puppy he was incredibly spastic and he barked all the time (okay, so not much as changed, really), but when we went for a drive he sat still and just watched the world go by.  The trip from Denver to Parsons for Thanksgiving was the only trip I can think of that he didn’t enjoy.  I think that was mainly because he only had ⅓ of the back seat and I didn’t want him sitting on my lap the whole time.  I’m not sure how well Huckleberry will do.  He usually enjoys drives well enough if he has a window cracked so he can stick his nose out and feel the breeze.  If it is over 100 degrees tomorrow, he may not get his window, but he can have some air conditioning.

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer about a year and a half ago.  She has tried various treatments, trying to stay away from traditional chemo because of the relatively low cure rate, and how it destroys so much aside from cancer.  A few months ago she was told her cancer had spread and stronger, more intensive treatment was needed.  She is doing a few different treatments now, one of which is a low-dose chemo.  Even though it is a low dose, it is still making her a little sick after each session.  I’m planning on staying with her for at least a week just to help out in any way she needs.  I’ll do the laundry, clean the house, make meals, and help her if she gets sick.  I am so excited to hang out with her, spend hours talking and watching TV,  and I’m really looking forward to serving her.  She’s a cool lady, and I’m glad I have the chance to be there for her.  

Sorry this is short, but I’ve got a few things I need to do before I leave.  I’m sure I’ll get the chance to write while I’m down there.  So, in following with tradition (if you can call something happening twice a tradition), I’ll leave you with a recipe.  This is what I cooked for Chris and Sarah when they came for dinner on Wednesday.  It is incredibly easy and very delicious.  

Honey Mustard Chicken

½ C Honey
½ C Dijon Mustard
2 T Olive Oil
A bit of Salt and Pepper
4-5 Chicken breasts

Mix up the honey, mustard, oil, salt and pepper in a bowl or liquid measuring cup.  Place chicken in the bottom of a baking dish and pour the honey mustard over the top.  Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until chicken is done.  I turn the chicken over a few times just to make sure it gets nice and coated with the honey mustard.  Every time I make this, everyone loves it. Sorry I don’t have pictures this time, but trust me, it’s good!

Well, I’m out for now.  Sam made dinner so I’m going to go eat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment